A: I will first give the following disclaimer. 1. I do not have all the answers, nor do I claim to be. 2. I am not you, and you are not me. 3. Your church’s culture and setting might be a lot different than mine. 4. I am not a church consultant, nor do I play one on TV…
Now that that that is out of the way, we can move on.
I have discussions like this often with small churches that want to reach the teenagers and children in their community. They often have a few solid kids to build around. I have been there, I understand. In 2001, I started a youth group with two middle school brothers in a church of about 30 people in Southern Illinois.
If I were doing the same thing today, Here are a few resources I would want to have on hand:
1) Either The original Gospel Journey Curriculum or Life in 6 Words from Dare2Share
2) A couple of “Throw and Tell Balls” from Group – You can get them here: Ball & Games Bundle
3) Access to Open.LifeChurch.tv for Worship and Small Group Resources
4) The $5 Youth Ministry by Todd Outcalt
5) The Story: Teen Curriculum by Michael Novelli
There is so much more that could be said here, but this is just a start.
The point is this:
Build strong foundations under the students you have. Prepare them to reach out to more students, then evangelize. Grow the new students. Lather, Rinse, Repeat...